Tuesday, January 1, 2013

potato bake.

One of my winter favourites as a side is potato bake. It's a hearty dish that just warms up the soul. I was a bit hesitant in cooking this recently as I'm dating an Irish guy and didn't know whether this would meet his families standards (I always thought the whole Irish and potato thing was a joke...it's not...my boyfriend's dad even showed me how to peel potatoes properly...). Alas, I overcame my anxiety and made it with it being polished off almost immediately. That's got to be a good sign, right?

This recipe makes a pretty big dish, approximately 8 servings.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 5 large cream delight potatoes - I like to use these as the skin is white and clean you can keep them on
  • 1 small or medium brown onion - depends on how much you like onions...I quite like them so I tend to put more
  • 300ml thickened cream
  • 50ml milk
  • 1 bulb of garlic
  • 250g shredded cheese
  • Salt & Pepper

METHOD:
  1. Preheat oven to 180˚C
  2. Cut potato into thin slices, slice onion and dice garlic
  3. Mix thickened cream, milk and garlic together
  4. Layer potato to cover base of tray
  5. Layer a handful of onion over the potatoes
  6. Lightly cover potato with garlic cream mixture
  7. Crack some salt and pepper over the top before sprinkling a little cheese
  8. Repeat until dish is covered, ensuring the top layer is thoroughly covered in cheese
  9. Bake for approximately 45mins or until cheese is golden - I slightly overcooked my tray...
  10. VOILA! The perfect hearty winter side dish!

Photobucket
facebook | twitter | instagram | bloglovin'

2 comments:

  1. What about the onion? What do you do with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops I seem to have left that out! You layer the onions with the potatoes :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every comment and I will try to answer any questions. Please note, every comment is moderated before published and any rude or spam comments will be deleted.

xo
margaret

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...